Wednesday 16 April 2014

Seen: Divergent

After watching missglamorazzi's 2013 favorites where she talked about how much she loved the Divergent series i downloaded the first book onto my kindle, and i was hooked. I devoured all three books in less than 4 days which is pretty fast even for me, and i am quite a fast reader. I was immediately drawn into the story and at times i even had to remind myself that i was in fact not Tris (the main character) but still just myself. At one point i made my father wait for half an hour before we could go out for dinner, just because i needed to finish reading an especially thrilling scene. If that doesn't speak for the book, i don't know what does.

Only one or two chapters into Divergent i knew that it was going to be one of my favourite books, and the rest of the series didn't disappoint either. Even though i didn't enjoy Insurgent quite as much as the other two, it still is a really good book, i just found it to be a little less capturing.
The books since hold a spot at the very top of my favourite books-list, right next to The Rosie Project and Harry Potter (these books seriously are my childhood).

When i found out that a movie was going to be made based on the first book, Divergent, i was so freaking excited. Most of the time i am rather disappointed by film adaptions of books i like - either i imagined the characters to be different or i find there isn't enough emphasis on a part of the story which i find important (Hunger Games, Hunger Games, Hunger Games!). This wasn't he case at all for Divergent though: I absolutely love this movie!

All my doubts about Shailene Woodley being right for the role of the main character, were blown away only a few minutes into the movie. She plays Tris amazingly in my opinion and with Theo James as Four, it really can't get much better. Seriously, just look at that guy's face (or body). Seeing Shailene in Divergent made me even more excited for The Fault in our Stars where she plays the main role as well.


Thankfully, they didn't make the same mistake as they did with The Hunger Games and put too much emphasis on the action, that would have just ruined the movie for me. If there's one thing i hate in movies it's when they use so many special effects, the actual story gets kind of lost behind them. I loved the use of Woodkid's Run Boy Run in the more action-packed scenes, that song makes me want to jump and run immediately.

Overall, this was definitely one of the best movies i've seen in a while (might be cause i don't really watch many movies at all but whatever) and i highly recommend it to basically anybody, whether you've read the books or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment