Tuesday 22 October 2013

doughy things

Writing and food are two of my favourite things in the world - so I'm always super excited about these posts! 


I think I'm kind of getting the hang of knowing which recipes to choose for mondays - this was really fast and easy, while still being extremely flavoursome. I was a bit worried about the pastry of this Tomato Tart taking too long in the oven - on the package it said over an hour. But even after only 30 minutes, it was just the way puff pastry's supposed to be - crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
 I was a bit late on this one, as tomato season is technically over but even with tomatoes that were somewhat lacking in flavour, this was absolutely delicious! another meal my stepfather loved.
The dried tomato pesto really adds that extra bit of something here - otherwise, it would've probably been a bit bland. Overall, a great quick (well if you consider preparation time) weeknight dinner!

When my alarm went at 8 in the morning on saturday, I decided to have something a bit more "special for breakfast - kind of as a motivation to study. I made french toast and an apple-blueberry compote which I then mixed wit some yoghurt - so good! It also kept me full for quite a while, which is definitely a bonus as I tend to get hungry pretty fast after a meal.

French Toast with Apple & Blueberry Yoghurt

Ingredients:

For the Toast:
1 egg
about 1/4 cup milk (i used almond milk)
sprinkle of cinnamon
some pieces of whatever bread you like
olive oil

For the Yoghurt:
about 1/2 cup yoghurt
1 apple, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup blueberries
1 T maple syrup
a bit of water

Whisk the egg with the milk and cinnamon and tear the bread into bite-sized pieces.
Add just enough water to cover the bottom to a saucepan, add the apple, blueberries and maple syrup and start heating over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally. When the apples have softened and there's not too much moisture left from the bluebberries, add the compote to the yoghurt and serve over french toast.
When the "compote" is almost done, heat some olive oil in a wide skillet over high heat. Dunk the bread into the egg mixture and add it to the skillet. Brown on both sides. Serve with Yoghurt.



This week was the the first time that a recipe I made actually went really wrong. This had nothing to do with the recipe itself but more so with my way of rushing through reading it. Of course this had to happen when my grandparents came over for dinner.
Everything was fine with the dough, but somehow I must've skipped the part where it says to put the skillet into the oven - i just left it on the stove top! It did seem quite odd to me to bake a cake this way, as it seemed obvious that the bottom part would burn before the top was ready, but i still didn't think about reading over the recipe again.
When I realized my mistake, it was already too late; i've never seen a cake as black as this one. We still ate the top part, which was alright, but nothing special - so I probably won't retry making this.

All week, I'd been craving waffles. So when I was in town with my mother on Thursday I basically forced her to buy a waffle iron - her and my grandmother had been postponing doing so for quite a while. We had some classic belgian waffles for breakfast on sunday- family recipe. I then had waffles again for lunch that same day - this time a bit of a healthier version I'd chosen. This made 7 waffles in my waffle iron- I had two that day and froze the rest to reheat for breakfast during the week. I actually preferred these to the "original" waffles, but my mother didn't rally like them that much, so I guess it just depends on your taste. If you like wholegrain things that have a bunch of seeds in them - these are perfect for you. I substituted the butter for vegetable oil and couldn't find a lack in texture.
I had these with a similar yoghurt-compote mixture as the one I put on my french toast (this time plum and mirabelle) and it was absolutely delicious without making me feel to guilty about it.
I am so excited to be having these on school mornings!




No comments:

Post a Comment